Sunday 5 September 2010

Two Months Until Departure

And in the Beginning....

When I began thinking about this journey over three years ago it seemed easy, I would work for a few months to save up enough cash and then head off to travel the world.  However, it didn't come as quickly as I had expected it to.  I don't regret the time I've been delayed as I have achieved a lot since I graduated from university back in 2006.  I've taught English to foreign children in Poland, I've traveled around Europe in a Motorhome with three friends, I worked in a touring theatre company called Theatrino in Italy teaching English through drama, I've been a part of The Maddermarket Theatre in Norwich and performed in ten productions improving my performance skills and I've made a lot of good friends.

I have now decided it's time to jump and embark on the voyage I have been planning for years.  So on Friday 27 August 2010 I pulled my manager aside and handed in my notice.  I always find it hard to hand my notice in when I get along with the team I'm working with, but I knew that I had to do it, that I had to go on this journey now or I may never get the opportunity again.  Life is incredibly short and extremely fragile, we don't know what is in store for us so I believe that we must live life like it could be our last day on Earth.  My last working day will be Friday 29 October 2010.

Since handing in my notice I have had a strange feeling of nervousness enter my system.  It's strange, I haven't had this feeling before and can only put it down to the fact it's very real now, before it was easy because it was all theoretical but now I've handed in my notice and told so many people I'm going, I have no choice but to go now!! 

So what do I need to do now...

  • Vaccinations - As you may know, traveling around the world presents certain health risks and to ensure I don't die a horrible and painful mosquito ridden death, I must have the following jabs.
    • Japanese B Encephalitis
    • Hepatitis A/B
    • Yellow Fever
    • Typhoid
    • Rabies
    • Diphtheria, Tetanus and Polio
  • Visas - A bureaucratic nightmare, a mountain of paperwork, huge amounts of leg work and plenty of cash.  I need to get my visas for the Trans-Mongolian railway before I leave home.  It's going to cost a bit but I have decided that instead of giving myself a headache with the paperwork and sending off my passport to different consulates I am going to ask Real Russia to do it for me for the sum of £270. This includes Visas to Russia, Mongolia and China all of the leg work, checking everything is in order and returning it to me in time for me to leave!
  • Gear - I now have the majority of technical gear I would like to take with me across the world, including camcorder, camera, MP3 player, chargers etc.  But I really need to focus on survival gear, warm winter clothes including thermal layers, sterile first aid kit including anti-AIDs needles and emergency dental repair kit because my teeth are just that week!
That's all for now.  I have a busy couple of months coming up.  I've got a university reunion on Saturday 11 September, I'm off to Munich for Oktoberfest for my friend's stag do on 16 September and am his best man on 16 October.

No comments:

Post a Comment