Wednesday 15 September 2010

Cambridge Reunion

Entering Cambridge always overwhelms me with a feeling of relaxation, hope and belonging.  I lived there from 2003 to 2006, one year in Nightingale Halls down Tennis Court Road and the next two in a shared house down Campbell Street off the illustrious Mill Road.  I can honestly say I had some of the best times of my life at university.  I learned a lot about myself and met some fantastic people whom I still think about and and keep in touch with.  My experiences in Cambridge and the friends I made have formed the person I am proud to be now.

Knowing that I wouldn't be able to see my friends from Cambridge for a while, I thought it would be a grand idea to organise a reunion before I left on my Epic Voyage.

Traveling down there on Saturday afternoon made me feel nostalgic and reminded me of the days I used to regularly travel back and forth to Norwich on the same train.  I was full of excitement as I hadn't seen some of the people since I graduated in 2006.  Although I was a bit disappointed that more people hadn't said they would come.

My friend James, who I met in first year drama at Anglia Ruskin back in 2003, and I had planned to stay the night in The Castle's family room.  James had booked and paid the room weeks ago, however, when we arrived they informed us that they had no record of our booking and had double booked us.  Unfortunately the other people had already checked in and they were fully booked.  Therefore we were sent off with a refund to find another hotel.  This turned out to be a big issue as we soon found out everywhere else was fully booked and we were facing a night on the streets!  We marched back into the Castle and demanded that they found somewhere for us to keep even if it was the sofa.  Cutting a long story short, we ended up staying the night in the Crowne Plaza hotel, which is a four star that the barman at The Castle managed to get half price for us.

After we moved into our hotel room we made our way to The Regal where we were due to meet everyone else.  Over the next few hours we met up with Daisy, Karen, Chloe and Nikkita.  The others were going to join us later but unfortunately never managed to meet up.

The next day I met up with Amy, Jamie and Geraldine for a Sunday roast where we made a new friend, Fred the wasp.  As it was a gorgeous sunny day, as it always is in Cambridge, we decided to finish the weekend of with a leisurely punt down the Cam.

It was great to catch up with all the guys.  I always think you know you're friends when there isn't any awkwardness and you can just carry on with conversations like you did years ago.



N.B. Hopefully this post will be updated when I have a bit more time!

No comments:

Post a Comment